Japanese room screens, also known as shoji screens, are a great way to give your home a modern flair and give new life to any room in your house. Shoji screens date back to 16th century Japan; traditionally, they were constructed from bamboo frames with rice paper inlays, but today many styles are made from more durable materials. These Japanese room screens can be used as room dividers, doors, and windows, and they are available in portable styles to allow you to change the look of a room any time.
Not sure how to incorporate Japanese room screens into your decor? Take a look at these tips below:
1. Use shoji panels to divide a room. This is especially useful for homes with more open floor plans. You can provide division between kitchens and living rooms, for example, or to give privacy to a separate dining area.
2. Japanese shoji screens make for great decor. You can place one in a corner to give life to “dead” space. Using two shoji panels can create a nice symmetry in any room, and a single shoji screen stretched out makes for an excellent accent wall.
3. Japanese room screens can be mounted on walls as a way to add art to a room. You can also use them as headboards or hang them up high on walls to give the illusion of windows. Some screens come with designs printed on them, but even a “plain” shoji screen can bring simple elegance to your home.
4. Need privacy? Room screens are an excellent way to divide up shared living spaces, or block out an unpleasant view outside. And if you’ve got clutter to hide from guests, room screens are a great way to “tidy up” quickly before guests arrive.
5. For those who prefer a more permanent fixture, Japanese room screens can also be installed as doors and windows. Use shoji sliding doors as an entrance to a patio or between rooms in your home. Shoji panels can also be used on closet doors and room doors, and there are even ways to incorporate these designs in your windows.
Shoji screens are great solutions for any room of the house. Their simplicity and design bring a touch of class to any home, offering clean lines and bright interiors. If you’re looking for your next home makeover project, shoji room screens are the perfect place to begin.